Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Shoe polish burns the skin and other life lessons

Twelve years ago, Germany and Brazil met on the pitch in the finals of the 2002 World Cup. 

To get there, Germany had to knock the United States out in the quarterfinals, but after an angry and depressed weekend, I forgave the motherland and cheered the Germans through an intense 0-0 game -- that ended after about 80 minutes when Brazil scored.

The whole thing is sort of a fog;  the game was actually at 4 a.m. but I thought it was at 5 a.m. so I had to avoid finding out the score until I watched the replay at 11 a.m., so of course the rational thing to do was stay up all night. And I am nothing if not rational.


As evidenced by my painting my face -- in U.S. colors -- at 3 in the morning before the game.
Random fact about Heidi: I am statistically most likely to start dating someone during the World Cup than at any other time ever. It's like my own personal leap year.  

This is actually finger paint, not face paint. For some reason I thought I could walk into Wal-Mart at 2 a.m. and find face paint. I did not. There was no white finger paint, so I substituted white shoe polish, of which I had a plethora because from age 16 to about 20 I went through a shoe polishing people's car phase. A little tip? Do not put shoe polish on your face. Had I left it on much longer, my face would have been red for a much different, itchier reason.
It's now 12 years later, and they're meeting again in Brazil in the semifinals. Even without their star striker and their captain, Brazil are a force to be reckoned with, especially in Brazil. There are going to be about 100,00 green-and-yellow clad fans screaming for German blood. (There may literally be blood if Germany wins. My friend's request that we not go to Brazil for the World Cup may make a lot of sense.)

Anyway, today I'm one black-red-and-yellow clad German fan. Deutschland!

This is what you can do with real face paint. It burns less.



No comments:

Post a Comment