Saturday, May 24, 2014

I am a poor sport

In other breaking news, the sky is blue, water is wet and things that have been in the freezer a while are cold. 

But before I tell you that, I'll tell you this: Rachel graduated! She is officially a doctor.*


The doctor, by the way, has been eight years in the making. She's now been in school for 24 solid years. 

Obviously we're all impossibly proud of her. We celebrated the only possible way we could celebrate:


Building clay pot puzzles. 

By the way, if you have never been to the Natural History Museum in Salt Lake, go. It is hands on and nose on and could be improved only by having an adults-only day so I could enjoy the kiddie activities with no kids around. Every time I suggested this, however, it was met with great disdain. 

Then we went to the special chocolate exhibit and chocolate tasting. For some reason, it took the program director five minutes of talking to get to the tasting. Did she really think we were there to learn about cacao beans? No! Bring on the chocolate!


And then we went to an RSL-FC Dallas soccer game, where Rachel and I shared a stadium with 20,000 annoying RSL fans. This made me think of how much I'm looking forward to football season, when I'll be sharing a stadium with fans of my team, we'll all be wearing the right colors and singing the right fight song and I don't have to be the weirdo cheering for the other team. 

(Why not just cheer for RSL, you ask? Two reasons: 1) I live in Texas, and 2) I am an ornery, contrary unwilling to admit I have anything in common with Utah person. It's mostly the second one.)

Anyway, this resulted in some cheering just to be annoying, some eye rolling and some quiet heckling of the guy behind me who was 120 meters away and blocked by half a dozen people but who knew that was a handball. There was also some disgust. (I hate the flopping. And the fouls. It's a contact sport. Either get up or take up golf.) And then there was shame. There are two acceptable responses to a player on the ground holding his head: respect or silence. Did you see booing on that list? I didn't either. 

Hello, pot. I'm kettle. You're black. 

*It is not official. It's not official until she defends her dissertation here in a couple of weeks, and even then I don't think it's official official until August. But those are technicalities.**
**Defending your dissertation is not a technicality. It's not as hard as writing it, but it's still kind of a big deal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment