Thursday, March 20, 2014

Even vegetables deserve a chance to be chocolate

I really like working with avocado. I like how you can slice it down the middle and it comes apart it two perfect halves. I like that the large pit pops easily out and the meat just scoops out of the peel. I love how silky smooth it is.

All that being said, I do not like avocado. It does not taste good. I've never understood the appeal of guacamole. 

So when avocado shows up in my Bountiful Basket, I have to find something to do with it. And there's only one really good thing to do with vegetables -- dessert.

If you think I'm joking, you have never met me.

Yesterday I made avocado Nutella(ish) and then, because I didn't know what to do with it all, made avocado cookies and sandwiched the Nutella(ish) between them. Weird, right? Until you eat the and you can't stop yourself, which is fine because you're pretty much eating vegetables. (You should stop yourself, though. There's a lot of peanut butter in there.)

Peanut butter avocado cookies (adapted from The Lean Green Bean)

1 avocado, mashed
2/3 cup peanut butter
1 egg
3 tbsp agave syrup
3/4 cup oatmeal
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 dark chocolate chips

1. Combine the wet ingredients. Unless the avocado is really ripe, use a mixer. You don't really want chunks of avocado in there. Or maybe you do. In that case, run with it.
2. Add the dry ingredients, then the chocolate chips.
3. Drop the dough (it will be wet) onto a lightly greased cookie sheet. I ended up with 12 cookies. Bake for 14 minutes at 350 degrees.
4. Remove to a cooling rack and let cool.
5. Put a reasonable amount of Nutella(ish) on one cookie, put another on top, and wa-la! Vegetable cookies.


Avocado Nutella(ish), adapted from Runners World
2 ripe avocados
1/2 cup cocoa
1/3 cup agave syrup (or 1/2 cup honey)
1 tsp hazelnut flavoring (or vanilla)
1. Mix together. Again, unless your avocados are really ripe, use a mixer or you'll get serious chunks. Lick the mixer blades. Then dunk a spoon in there and go to town. Remember, it's vegetables! 
2. Do try to leave some for the cookies, though. 

Also, don't make the mistake I did and put leftover cookies in an airtight container. They're pretty moist, so the air helps them to dry out a little and helps with the texture. They're just really dense and wet the next way otherwise.

Happy vegetable eating! 





No comments:

Post a Comment