Saturday, March 1, 2014

Bountifully f-bombtastic

Food co-ops have real street cred.

Of course, that street is made up of artisan bakeries, natural grocery stores and make-your-own-pottery galleries.

Food co-ops seem to attract people who are maybe a little spoiled about the type of food they eat and the image the type of food they eat presents to the world. It's a status symbol, much like when I finally made enough money to shop at United instead of Walmart. I know this because jicama.

So yes, we're dealing somewhat with a person who is maybe a little snobby and occasionally a little entitled. A person who thinks she is more important than other people. (Keep in mind that I participate in this co-op. Yes, I am snobby and entitled. And that many people who are participate are not those things. I am making a gross generalization. I can do that because it's my blog and I'm making a point.)

Knowing this -- and given how I feel about people in general -- I should not have been surprised by what happened when I volunteered with Bountiful Baskets today. It didn't happen to me, fortunately, although I've wondered since how I would have reacted had it happened to me. (Though I don't think it would have, both because of my gender and my general go-to-hell demeanor.)

Anyway, enough already. One man told me that a woman got really upset with him about some of the produce -- she didn't feel it was good enough or that she'd gotten enough. He said she was quite rude. Then another guy told me later that he noticed a woman standing around and asked if she was waiting for add-ons. She told him that no, she was still waiting for her f***ing basket.

Seriously, ladies? You're going to act like that around a bunch of snobby, entitled elitists? You know we're all judging you, right?

But in all seriousness, what is wrong with people? (I should be fair -- women. I have no problem picking on men when I feel it's appropriate, but I think this is a specific woman on man problem. Both of these guys were not -- or at least did not appear to be -- snobby elitists. They just knew a good deal. These were older, probably more well-off women bullying younger, working class men, which I suspect they knew they could get away with.)

You're frustrated. I get it. No, really, I get it. So was I. The truck was late, the process was inefficient, people kept telling me what to do (when I was already doing it) and the volunteers, well, bless their hearts, at least they're sweet spirits. And I had plans to be hiking and didn't really want to postpone that so I could hang out in a park with a bunch of strangers and some produce. I. Get. It.

But at these moments in life, you text your spouse/roommate/friend about how you're frustrated. You go home and complain. You don't verbally abuse the people who are making it possible for you to get high-quality produce at less than you would be paying anywhere else unless you're picking it out of your own yard, and they're doing it for in-kind payment worth about $1.25. You don't like standing in line and then waiting for someone to bring your stuff over? Go to the grocery store. (Where, if it's a good grocery store, you will get thrown out for that language, just like you should have been today.) Or just get over it.

This, you see, is the unwritten agreement we all have with everybody else in society: you put up with, overlook and be understanding of my weaknesses and I'll do the same to you. It's how we get through life in a world populated with imperfect, and more importantly, different people. When this social contract is broken, people get hurt.

I know that sometimes life gets frustrating and you want to lash out at people. It can be hard to know when it's appropriate to do so, so below you'll find a list of times when you are justified in being demeaning and verbally abusive to others:








.

Cheers.




No comments:

Post a Comment