Friday, January 31, 2014

Boomerang

When I was on my mission, I had five companions more than once -- two back-to-back, which is normal, but three in which we were assigned to other people and then a few transfers later put back together.

This is pretty typical of the life of Heidi at this point. I've never really been a one-and-done kind of a person. My family moved away from Roswell and then moved back. I moved away from Provo and then moved back. I left the Daily Herald and then went back.

And,  you know, it's worked pretty well for me, so I'm keeping up the trend. Next week I'm returning to the lands of the Red Raiders to work for the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal -- the city in which I lived for five years and newspaper where I did my internship in college.

I know, right?

Besides a paycheck, health insurance and a reason to not be a bum, Lubbock offers more liberalism than Provo (it's the second-most conservative city in the nation -- woohoo!), pretty much no winter (although you wouldn't believe that this year) and the appropriate fight song to sing at city council meetings.

It also has meant returning to the land of the living -- acquiring furniture, getting a Costco membership, paying bills and putting on make-up every day. It's going to be a good year.

And the best news is, I really only have one more place to rereturn, living-wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment