Sunday, September 29, 2013

One less fish in the sea

Today after a boat ride, I asked two locals where the trail to the Cliffs of Moher was. They told me, but only after snorting and telling me it wasn't a five-minute walk. Two and a half to three hours, both said, and, well, it was after 4 p.m. 

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce to you my time: an hour and 20 minutes. Booyah!

I got the cliffs from a couple of different angles -- first from the bottom in a boat, then from the top. It's difficult to do justice to these 700-foot sheer rock faces  that kind of seem to hold off the Atlantic Ocean. They're Ireland's defense, and let me tell you -- Ireland is doing all right. 

The first part of my day (after waking up to a room full of passed out people -- fortunately none of my loud attempts to be quiet woke anyone) I took a boat to Inisheer. It is the smallest of the Aran Islands, just west of the mainland. It's had people living on it for a very, very long time. I passed up the van ride and the buggy ride and instead wandered off with the map, picking my way across the rocky shore just out of reach of the waves. On my way back, I discovered a little bed and breakfast with fresh fruit tarts on their menu. I haven't actually eaten out at all since I got here; a friend who travels said a good way to keep costs down is only eating out a couple times a week. So here was my first. 

And oh, was it worth it. You know how people talk about fresh fish like it's practically nectar from the gods? I've never gotten that. I like fish, and I've eaten some good fish in my day. I've even eaten it close to what should be the source. (Yes, there are eel in the Willamette River.) 

Well, today I ate fish that I suspect was swimming around the bay when I got up this morning. It was unbelievable. I totally get it now and will commence being one of those annoying people who tell you to only eat fresh fish. I would apologize if I hadn't considered swimming back to the island for more. 

Oh, and the cherry on top? As much as I enjoyed my roommates -- and I did! -- I'm by myself in a room for seven. This is what happens on a weeknight in a small town, I suppose. 


Minerals?
The tallest cliff. The tower is fake, though. Well, it's real, just not old and historical. :)

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I ate some minerals close to the source once in Magna and had the same experience. I only ever eat fresh minerals now. :-)

    ReplyDelete