Saturday, August 17, 2013

Making waves and catchin' rays

I've never really thought of myself as a material girl. I don't have a lot of stuff, I don't like stuff -- to me it's all just more trips the next 17 times I move. Plus, I have a kind of insane judgmental streak about buying what are essentially just really expensive toys. You could give that money to the poor! (Or spend it traveling, for which I have a convenient judgment loophole.)

But I'm going to be honest here: I totally want a boat. And I'm not talking a little canoe with a motor. I want a boat -- that goes fast, that has a steering wheel, maybe has a little deck and a small but fully functioning kitchen and obviously a bed, because being on the water rocks you to sleep. See, just your normal, run of the mill, completely non-pretentious yacht.

I went on a speedboat tour of the Willamette River today. It was wet, and there was some screaming. It was kind of like a 2-hour long water ride with commentary about using glue to hold up bridges (I wish I was making that up), pickling eels, goats that swim and more.

This morning I hiked up the Washington side of the Columbia River Gorge. I mistakenly thought I was going to end up on the banks on the river, based on the map that seemed to indicate the trail went right up to the river. What actually happened is the cliffs go right along the edge of the river. I never made it near the river.

Then I ate unagi for dinner. It was delicious.
This is what I did today -- played chicken with a submarine. What, you don't do that on vacation?

No comments:

Post a Comment