Sunday, July 28, 2013

The marriage talk for 3-year-olds

One of the things I most anticipated about a family ward was that I would no longer hear periodic talks about getting married. These continue despite the fact that the reason most young adults aren't getting married is not because they don't hear about it often enough.

Then today I got a marriage talk. The good news is, it wasn't directed at me. The better news is, we all agreed we needed to grow up before getting married. The best news is, kids say really funny things and it was kind of the best marriage talk ever.

We're learning about families and temples in Primary this month. For anyone not familiar with the teachings of the LDS Church, we get sealed in the temple, which is for eternity; there's no "'til death do you part" line. So, in case you were getting worried, the lesson was not about how the 4- and 5-year-olds needed to run out and get married; it was about keeping the temple in mind and preparing yourself for it throughout life.

So first, the teacher asks what we need to do to get married. The first person who volunteers? "You  need to get older."

Yeah, you do.

We get a few responses -- pay tithing, obey your parents, go to church. Check, check-ish, check.

Then this one: "You need to find someone to marry!"

So that's what I'm doing wrong!

Then the teacher asks the kids to make a commitment now to get married in the temple when they've, you know, gotten older, obeyed their parents and found someone. The 4-year-old next to me, who is a regular in the Sunbeam section of this blog, raised his hand and earnestly said, "I want to get married in the temple."

The little girl next to him, who flirts with him and who he held hands with through an entire sharing time a few weeks ago, raises her hand and said, "I want to get married and get a ring."

Girl knows what she wants.

Class went smoothly, except for a few more mentions of getting a ring (we've talked about families and temples a lot lately), and a prayer that I think involved something remembering to give a thing back to his brother. I said amen. I'm not entirely sure what I said amen to.

This last story I can't talk credit for, but I'm sharing it anyway. My dear friend who loves children came to church with me today, and we were swapping funny kid stories, and she told me that one time she subbed in nursery and they taught a lesson about good things to eat (Word of Wisdom for toddlers). They brought good foods and held them up and said, "Is this good to eat?" "Yes," the toddlers shrieked. They held up other things (cleanser) and said, "Is this good to eat?" "No!" Then they gave the kids empty paper plates and told them to draw their favorite meal. She went around talking to all of them about their favorite foods, up until one child whose plate was blank.

"What's your favorite food, Alan?"

The little boy grinned -- a multicolored smile.

"Crayons!"


No comments:

Post a Comment