Saturday, June 8, 2013

The day Bambi got stuck in the backyard

Yesterday at the playground Mark looked at me and said, "Aunt Heidi, are you married?"

"No," I answered.

He paused for a second. "Why aren't you married?"

"I don't know."

One more second, then "Will you marry me?"

My first proposal! I have a feeling it ruined me for all others. No one will ever be that cute.

Mark also, while playing with the clip in my hair and trying to get my hair as crazy looking as possible, asked if I wanted to be the prettiest girl in the world. What does one say to that?

I've been in West Virginia for almost three days, courtesy of a red-eye out of Salt Lake. I slept in the Atlanta airport for a short time and a good chunk of the flight from Atlanta to Charleston. So far I've been woken up by two little boys whispering about who was going to take a picture of me and by a rather large dog flinging his body at the door so it would open. I have lain on a futon with said boys and dog and tried to not get crushed or crush anybody else. I have not sent anyone to the emergency room. I have been a human jungle gym, a human swing and a human that-carnival-ride-that-spins-you-around-and-around. I have played hotel and road trip with my nephews and told my sister and brother-in-law to take them to more hotels and on more road trips so they don't play that as a game.

And I saw a centipede. And discovered a rather disturbingly lackadaisical attitude toward the rather large spiders they have here. (They're actually tiny compared to the tarantulas Roswell has, but tarantulas don't climb up the side of the house and hang out. For some reason, that's so much worse.)
And I've seen a deer in the backyard, which is in fact adjacent to a forest. For the love of open land, what is up with all these trees? It's kind of wigging me out.

But they deer that got stuck -- it wigged out when Nimitz tried to say hello. But it couldn't get out, despite somehow getting in. James eventually did something to get it going, or its fear carried it over the fence. No deer for doggie dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment