Saturday, November 24, 2012

My team has multiple personalities

What is it like to cheer for a winning team?

While Texas Tech certainly has had some good games, we're in a tenuous place wherein just about every game is a potential win. Or a potential loss. And unfortunately, it splits down the middle far too frequently.

Take right now. We're playing Baylor. For most of the game we've been somewhat comfortably ahead. We're now losing. It's like they forget how to play in the second half of football games. Or nobody told them football games are 60 minutes long, and yes, you play the full 60 minutes. So far, of the games I've watched that we've won, we haven't won a single one handily. All of them have come down to the wire -- not because the teams were evenly match, but because Texas Tech only played sometimes. The rest it appeared like they were afraid to hit.

I think all the stress is giving me ulcers.

Then there's U.S. Soccer. In 2010, they got scored on in the first couple of minutes at least twice. By teams that ultimately were not better than them; they just apparently don't show up for several minutes. Or first half or whatever. It means my excitement level goes from 8 to -1 in the amount of time it takes the ball to cross the goal line. I don't think it's good for my heart.

For now, though, I don't want a lot. I just want to beat Baylor. Is that so much to ask, football gods?

No comments:

Post a Comment