Friday, September 14, 2012

Why am I still awake?

The sun came up today, and I saw it on a train. The sun went down today, and I saw it on a train.

Fortunately it was different trains and I'd had a long break (filled with gingerbread cake bites, lebkuchen, bratwurst and bread -- oh, and some sightseeing too), but I spent nine hours traveling today. Seven were expected. Two were a special treat. I was on a train to Munich, due in about half an hour, anticipating a quick walk to my hotel and going to bed early to make up for the 4:30 a.m. start. Instead, there was a train wreck on the track ahead of my train and we all got off, got onto another train and then picked up a third train from Regensberg.

I figured out something was wrong when everyone around me started getting up after we'd sat for 10 minutes in this little town. I asked a woman what the announcement was. Then I listened to a train employee explain how to get to Munich. Except what actually happened was I panicked because I had no idea where I was and no idea how to get where I needed to go, and I asked the train employee. A nice man translated.

Then, on that train there was another announcement. This time I had a whole committee. I think I have a really pathetically effective "please help me I'm lost" face, which is good, because the little knowledge I have of German is accomplishing nothing.

But besides that little detour -- which I wish had happened during the day, as it took us along the Danube River -- my day in Nuremberg was nice. Nuremberg is a Bavarian city made famous for an 11-month trial in courtroom 600 holding 21 high-ranking Nazis accountable for crimes committed during war, a first.

Tomorrow I'm going to a concentration camp. And then I am done with WWII stuff. It'd all been fascinating, informative and a little depressing. The BMW museum should be all of those three but for different reasons, at least on the last one.

No comments:

Post a Comment