Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I was in a vegetable desert

But I'm OK now.

It is very unlike me to forget to eat, but I seem to be doing it a lot lately. I don't actually forget, I guess; I just put it off until later and something else always comes up later.

Today I decided to put dinner off until 8 because that's when stuff closed and I wanted to get as much as I could in. At about 3 I got gelato, figuring that and the bockwurst for lunch would hold me over.

No. 8 rolls around and I'm starving. But there's this presentation I want to see that starts at dark -- which it is -- and I didn't do everything I wanted to today so if I keep the next two nights free I can fit them in. So my plan to order schnitzel with a chocolate torte chaser got pushed back, and I set off for a vendor before the movie started. Except they're all closed. I ended up with a bottle of orange juice, then a pastry and later got Chinese take-out in the square by my hotel.

But I ate with chopsticks, so it was still a new experience.

Also on today's agenda -- the Reichstag, which is topped with a glass dome, the Brandenberg Tor, the Topography of Terror, getting lost and the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe, and I stopped by Checkpoint Charlie to see my flag waving and two mock soldiers by a chalkboard that said, "9/11/01 -- we will not forget."

And I rode the subway. I'm sure for most of you this is not a big deal, but I'm from the sticks. I went to school in a larger pile, but still, kinda the sticks. Utah isn't exactly so populated that mass transit has taken off. Ergo, short of last week in Frankfurt, which required no switching, I've never ridden the subway by myself before. I can barely even interpret the maps. This is what happens when you're so tired you don't want to walk anymore. You take the subway.

Anyway, tomorrow is laundry day, hopefully schnitzel day and hopefully a cooler day after the little bit of rain that came tonight. And now it is bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment