Saturday, September 8, 2012

Found

I spent most of today lost.

The good thing is, being lost in the place you're visiting really isn't that bad. I mean, yeah, dragging my suitcase up the hill only to discover that I am completely map illiterate (I actually thought the map was wrong) wasn't the most fun I've ever had, but it cemented my desire to always travel light.

I spent most of the day in Wiesbaden, a suburb of Frankfurt, home of a U.S. military base, a bunch of thermal hot springs and the birthplace of the coolest person who wears my shoes. (I did not buy any shoes. But I tried. Apparently the Parisian guy was right and I do have big feet.) I went to a pink palace and saw no fewer than four brides getting pictures taken, realized I had no earthly idea where I was and asked which bus to get on. This all was followed by the map situation, then a walk to my hotel through a shopping zone, then asking a nice lady if she knew where my hotel was and wondering where I was going to sleep after she told me it was closed. Fortunately it was not.

Shopping, castles that are no longer castles, watching dancers on unicycles (I'm pretty sure it'll be in the Olympics), eating bratwurst and sitting in the park waiting for the sun to go down so I could see the Kurhaus at night rounded out my day.

Now in sitting in my room, window open (I have a skylight on the top floor) and fighting off exhaustion. Tomorrow I'm going to Cologne. There's a chocolate museum there. I anticipate it being a delicious day.

No comments:

Post a Comment