Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Survey says

I think it has been well-established that I am a nerd.

So, when my phone rang tonight and it was an automated survey, I stayed on the line with glee. The few times this has happened, I've played a little game wherein I tried to guess which side of the aisle the survey was coming from.

It took one question: What do you believe is the biggest issue for presidential contenders to be discussing?

I was all prepared to push the button for the economy, but these were my choices:
1) rising gas prices
2) the United States' involvement in the Middle East
3) staggering unemployment rates
4) health care reform

Um, really? I picked staggering unemployment rates because that's part of the economy. Of course, so do the rest of the choices. Who designed this survey?

Ding-ding-ding! Yes. It was not the side I usually find myself.

I got to push one for Barack Obama (it's like a practice round for November!) and then was asked what the most controversial issue facing presidential candidates this year was. My options this time were:
1) birth control coverage included in the new health care law
2) the U.S. foreign policy approach to the Middle East
3) the national deficit
4) immigration reform and securing the national border

Again, the economy? The national deficit is not the same thing. Illegal immigration is crazy low because of the economy. What's wrong with these choices?

The final question was, in the 2012 election, which group do you think the Republicans will have the hardest time appealing to?
1) women

That was the furthest I got. Right as I excitedly pushed one I realized I wouldn't get to hear the rest of the answers, but I'm going to guess that they are:
2) black people
3) Hispanics
4) people between ages 18 and 29
5) people between ages 30 and 64
6) people 65 and up
7) people who make less than $50,000 a year
8) intellectuals
9) fill in the name of irritated group

Anyway, lesson learned — next time, make sure I wait long enough to get all the choices, then somehow ask to get my name on a do-call list for political surveys. And I'm only sort of doing it to completely skew their results.



No comments:

Post a Comment