Saturday, January 21, 2012

True confessions

When I'm home alone at night and my house makes funny and unexpected noises, I wonder if it's haunted.

When I was 12 or 13 I heard the story of the Candyman. I still can't look in the mirror in the dark.

I am the only sister missionary in the history of the LDS Church (not proven, but a reasonable generalization) who enjoyed the ban on holding babies. It meant I had an ironclad excuse for not holding babies, since a wrinkled nose followed by "Eww, no, I don't like kids" tends to elicit dirty looks and rotten tomato throwing.

I once ate an entire pizza.

I'm really excited to turn 30.

I'm frequently afraid people I know are going to stop breathing and will surreptitiously watch them until I see chest movement.

I want my own fairy tale.

The main reason I spent two hours chatting with Flirty What's-his-face was because that was better than sitting at home by myself.

I enjoy football more than Christmas.

I'm going to miss Utah.

I have NSYNC and Backstreet Boys songs on my phone. If you ask, I'll say it's good workout music.

I have no idea -- still -- what I want to be when I grow up.

Sometimes I wonder if not getting married is a punishment for something I've done wrong.

Other times I think it's because no one wants me, and I don't know which is worse.

Guns scare me.

I drive a stick shift because a small part of me wants to be a race car driver.

One of these days I want to move to my first home, to a place where people look like me, can pronounce my last name and like the same sports.

4 comments:

  1. Why is there a ban on holding babies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you!

    Where are you moving?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toth is actually Hungarian so they might not be able to pronounce in Germany either. And I hope that baby generalization didn't apply to me babies. : ) And if it makes you feel better I sometimes wondered if the prolonged period when James didn't make enough for kids, and then when we couldn't get pregnant was, maybe not a punishment, but a strong message that I shouldn't have kids. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm moving to wherever I decide to go to law school, which I don't know yet. Possibly somewhere in VA. There's a ban on holding children for two reasons -- to protect missionaries from any sort of accusation and also because sisters would never stop holding babies.

    ReplyDelete