Sunday, September 25, 2011

I can't, I'm Mormon

The above pearl was on a T-shirt I saw a girl wearing yesterday.

I laughed. And I related. I suspect everyone who's ever belonged to organized religion has at one point used "it's against my religion" as the only reason for not doing something.

My goal in religion is to get to the point where that reason is an anomaly.

But that's just a small part of this. Last night I was listening to President Uchtdorf, the second counselor in the First Presidency of the LDS Church, during the annual Relief Society (LDS organization for women) broadcast. Being a daddy's girl, it's always better to hear loving words from a fatherly figure than, say, the women who were speaking. One bit of advice applied to the above girl, but the rest are worth a moment of reflection.

1. Forget not to be patient with yourself.

2. Forget not the difference between a good sacrifice and a foolish sacrifice.
A good sacrifice is giving up something good for something better.

3. Forget not to be happy now.
As in, not next week, not when I get rid of this pimple, not when I get a raise, not when I get into the perfect school, not when I get married, not when my football team wins a championship, not when I'm finally not tired. Right now, with all of the imperfections in life. Not because something goes right. Simply because I can be.

4. Forget not the why of the gospel.
This is where the Mormon girl from above comes into play. "I can't, I'm Mormon," is the what and how. "I don't want to, I'm trying to live my life to get closer to God" is the why.

Of course, that doesn't fit as nicely on a shirt. :)

5. Forget not that the Lord loves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment