Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Common sense

WARNING!!! If you don't want to hear me complain about online dating, don't read this.

I have absolutely no doubt that sometimes people look at me or meet me or have a conversation with me or whatever and on some level it makes sense to them that I'm not married yet.

But I hope it's less obvious than so many of the winners I've "met" online.

Here's the deal, guys: "Hi" is not a conversation starter. It's at best a conversation opener. It's what precedes you actually saying something. Even something like, "how are you?" But it's not how you begin unless you plan on there being a semicolon right after it.

See, I was chatting with this guy earlier this week and mentioned I had to go work soon. He asked if I could text at work, I said yes, as long as something else wasn't going on, he gave me his number and told me to text him if I wanted. Well, I did — something generic, certainly, but he got a good 30 words from me, including a joke about there not being any fires or murders. He didn't respond for an hour and a half.

When he did, how did he respond?

"Hi."

Seriously, dude? This isn't our first e-conversation. Your two letters doesn't merit a response from me. Start a real conversation and then I'll talk.

I bring this up now because I just received another text from him. The first person to correctly guess the contents of that message in its entirety wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment