Thursday, April 14, 2011

When life hands you lemons

You can do, like, a million things with them.
I still don't really know what I want to be when I grow up. (And no, I am not grown up. Let's be realistic here.) And it ain't gettin' easier with time.
Here's where I am. I love being a reporter. But I also don't love it sometimes, and generally when I don't love it it's a pretty sizable not-love. I really enjoy working in newspapers and in general publications and have considered editing, writing columns or opinion pieces and things like that. But now is kind of a crappy time to be in journalism. (Case in point.) And frankly, no matter how good the industry is, I'm always going to be underpaid, overworked and always doing something wrong.
Today I spoke in front of a Women in Leadership group about GRAMA, HB 477 and the future of open records in Utah. I had a fabulous time. I really enjoy teaching. (Adults. People with brains. Not high school.)
I've also debated, off and on for the last 10 years, law school. Especially lately, I've thought about being a First Amendment or media attorney. However, that's three years of life. And yes, I know in three years I'll be three years older and farther along in my life whether I go to law school or not, blah blah blah. But I'm so fickle. I don't want to decide to go to law school, go into a lot of debt, and then decide I don't want to do it. I'm not not considering law school because I feel like I'm too old or that three years is too long. I just don't know that I'll want it in three years. I don't know that I'll want it in three months.
Fed up with my meager paycheck, I've debated marketing, public relations, technical writing for about a minute and other writing and editing positions. After my last trip to Zion I thought about being a park ranger. If I could get someone to hire me, I'd work for a nonprofit.
And in the back of my mind is a little voice that wants to be a baker.
Lemonade, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment