Friday, April 8, 2011

One of those days

It's been one of them.
You know, those really great days when you hear lots of nice things about yourself from the most unexpected places. :)
It actually started last night, when my editor confessed that after reading a story of mine that he was planning to hate (it was an SABTMIE -- story assigned by the most important editor), he couldn't hate it. In fact, he enjoyed it.
Then today, while I was talking to two sources, one of whom I don't really trust (as in, less than most of my sources. Oh, who am I kidding? I don't trust anybody.) and another who means well but who is starting to be a drain. Then the first leans over, looks at my left hand and asks if I'm married. I say no. There's an awkward second or two; I mean, what am I supposed to follow that up with? Until this.
"How can a pretty girl like you not be married?" one of them said.
"I was thinking the same thing," the other (close to 80-year-old) chimed in.
You know, I wonder about that same phenomenon sometimes.
Then, as I was doing some background gathering for a presentation I am giving to a Women in Leadership group next week (!), I came across a comment in my story that started with "Heidi Toth." Take it from one who's written a number of stories that inspired some pretty serious comment, it's never good when they address you directly.
Except today.
"Heidi Toth, I knew you were smart, but this is an excellent piece of writing! I mean it, one of the most thoughtful things I've seen about 477."
Rain, snow, fog, cold and unwielding stomachache notwithstanding, it's been a good day.

1 comment:

  1. I read that comment earlier this week and it made me happy :)

    ReplyDelete