Monday, February 14, 2011

The Ides of February

I have to be honest, the fact that I'm spending Valentines evening at work thrills me. It means I don't need to worry about not having plans. (Although, to continue being honest, I wouldn't be worried anyway. It's been a long time since I stressed about not having a date on Valentines Day.)
(Should there be an apostrophe in Valentines? I can't remember. And I don't care enough to look it up.)
I've only had a boyfriend for one Valentines Day in my life -- and that year was kind of a dud -- so I don't have a lengthy history of these really amazing romantic days. And right now in my life, there's not a particular person I'd like to be my Valentine, so I don't really feel like I'm missing out.
But I have thought of a few things I could profess my love to on this day of days.
1. Food. I've always liked cooking, but the last little while that relationship has gotten pretty serious. For example, I love my Crock Pot so much that it will break my heart if it ever dumps me. I'm having a torrid little affair with all things pastry. I Google combinations like "strawberry jam oatmeal cookies" and find recipes with about three dozen steps. Who cares if no one's around to tell me my hair looks great when I can make superfantastic strawberries and cream muffins that people will drool over? (Yes, they are as good as they sound.)
2. Sarcasm. I don't know if sarcasm was this writer's intention, but it's really funny. Singlehood, Mormons and sex. Golden combination.
3. CNN. Love, love, LOVE the news. Who was not glued to the TV for the Egyptian protests over the last two weeks? Not me, that's for sure.
4. High heels. Love hurts, it's true. The knee aches, my feet hurts, if I go long enough my back feels 80 years old, but damn, I love high heels. As do my calves. They never look hotter than in 4-inch stilettos.
5. The ability to be alone. I love it. I love that I can go skiing for 7 hours and have one conversation all day (to a medical worker: Do you have any ibuprofen?) Solitude is good. I love talking to myself. (Yup, I do that. I answer back too, in case you were wondering.) I love being able to pick out exactly what I want to do and not have to deal with what anyone else wants.
6. The option to not be alone. Yesterday, after working for four hours, I went to ward prayer and had a surprisingly good time. Then I went over to a friend's house and visited. Then I randomly called another friend to see how he felt about hanging out. Good stuff.
Happy Valentines Day!

1 comment:

  1. The article you link is interesting. I think sexuality is basically the main reason I grew away from mainstream Christianity (I didn't understand why the article made it sound like only LDS thinks premarital sex is a sin) and started moving toward a thought more like Unity [http://unity.org/aboutunity/index.html].

    To me, homosexuality is not a sin, so this was my first trouble with church and sexuality. Then, I came to realize that I've had more sinful sex inside of marriage than outside of it in the sense of having sex for purely physical reasons and not as an expression of intimacy.

    I do think there are healthy and unhealthy ways to have sex, but I don't think marriage separates the two.

    Also, I don't think doctrine accounts for there truly being different drives for sex. I have friends who really don't care about it while other friends (and me) go nuts without it. It's like different people craving chocolate - I don't care about eating chocolate much. If it's there I'll have it. Otherwise, whatever. But some people really crave it more than others.

    I just tend to think God probably cares more about whether I love myself and others than whether I'm having sex outside of marriage.

    Anyway, now that I've been married I can never have premarital sex again, right?

    ReplyDelete