Thursday, October 21, 2010

Life is a suicide note incarnate

If you could have prior knowledge of your death -- not necessarily the means of taking it, but if you knew, to quote Chad Kroeger, today was your last day -- what would you want to leave with the people around you?
I would hope that I did an honest day's work that day or accomplished something that made getting up that morning worthwhile.
I would want to have made up the little spats and conflicts that plague normal human relationships, or, if that wasn't the case, for those people to know that I wasn't carrying a grudge and didn't want them to carry anything either.
I'd want my bed to be made.
I'd want to leave happy memories and good stories to tell to a reporter, at the funeral and for years.
I would want my friends and family to know that I am happy, both before and after.
I'd want people to laugh -- and not wear black to my funeral.
I'd like to say that I have truly lived -- that I took chances, made mistakes, tried new paths and forged a few of my own, accomplished my goals, laughed, cried, had fun, looked silly and explored.
I'd like to say that I have truly loved -- my family and friends, the crazy family dogs, a significant other or two, my job, my life; that I opened up my heart even though I knew it would hurt.
I want to have no regrets.
"Treat life as a grand experiment, blood, sweat, tears and all. Bear in mind that there's no such thing as a failed experiment—only data." Jesse Bering, Scientific American

No comments:

Post a Comment