Friday, September 17, 2010

The best kind of to-do list

is the one that you are excited to check activities off when done not because it's one less thing you have to do but because it's one more thing you have done.
Yesterday I went skydiving. It was the most exhilarating, adrenaline-filled thing I've ever done. The scariest part was filling out the paperwork beforehand; I kept reading about death and serious injury. I was seriously concerned until the skydiving expert told me that he'd jumped 8,000 times and never gotten hurt. Granted, he said, this could be the time he got hurt, but really, once he said that I realized my odds were pretty good.
The 20-minute flight over Zion National Park was fantastic. Then came this moment, when the instructor opened the door and I realized there was nothing holding me back from falling out of the plane. He asked if I was ready; I said yes. I think I even meant it. Then I had to crawl out of the plane and crouch on this tiny step. During these couple of seconds, I was holding onto nothing and could see nothing. I looked down. And I have no idea what I was thinking. I do not remember fear, I don't remember concern -- nothing.
Then I was falling.
It seriously is the coolest thing. I think everyone who's able and has ever thought about it should skydive at least once. It's an expensive thrill, certainly, and not to be taken lightly.
But wow. Is it ever fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment