Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Suffrage redefined

It is almost the 90th birthday of the 19th Amendment, that beautiful little addition to the Constitution that gave me, my mom, my two sisters, my many aunts, grandmothers, great-aunts, cousins, dozens of coworkers, mission companions, roommates, best friends, etc the right to vote.
The New York Times has an interesting discussion into this particular political maneuver and how it seems so obvious today. Of course women should have the vote. Women are just as smart. Women are just as loud and outspoken. Women are just as capable as running this country, or running this country into the ground, as the men who have been doing it. Of course we should be able to vote.
Can I just say, for the record, that even with all the frustration I sometimes have with the world as we know it, that I wouldn't be a man for anything. I don't have to wear a tie or a cup. It's OK for me to cry. I get to smell good and do things with my hair. I can hug my girlfriends and tell them I love them and not feel the least bit homosexual. I can like any kind of movie. I don't have to shave my face. I can in one day be a tomboy playing sports and later put on a pretty dress and go dancing.
Thank you, sister suffragettes, Rosie the Riveter, Susan B. Anthony, Marilyn Monroe, Eleanor Roosevelt and all of those other pioneers who went after the right to do whatever they wanted to do. Happy birthday, 19th Amendment!

1 comment:

  1. I'm thankful too and, as a feminist, I am looking forward to the day of equality when men can do all the things you described in your post! I heard Gloria Steinem on Colbert Report the other day and she basically said that children should grow up knowing that men can be every bit as nurturing and loving as women just like they should know that women are every bit as smart and capable as men.

    ReplyDelete