Friday, May 14, 2010

Don't hate me

So, I really have kind of a bleeding heart.
There's the story of Ethan Stacy, the 4-year-old who was "allegedly" beaten to death by his stepfather while his mother knew about it and didn't get help. It's truly horrible, and every time I see that little boy's cute little face my heart aches. I sometimes believe in the death penalty, and now is one of those times.
But today, we have a picture in the above story of his stepfather. He looks like he's in agony. And that picture is killing me too. Maybe he is all of the horrible things people have said about him. Probably he is guilty of the horrible things he's been accused of. But seeing another human being (I realize I'm taking some liberty there) in that much pain hurts, whether they're a horrible person or not. You have to wonder what went wrong in his life previously. I am not implying that he is not fully responsible for his actions, but I don't think he's got the same thought process as, say, me.
Sometimes I wonder if I could kill another person. This would only happen in defense of myself or others (and here I am thinking of my two nephews, one of whom is 4, and if I knew someone was abusing that little boy he or she would have to answer to my wrath, and yes, it would be scary). I've always thought I could if the need arose.
But really, I don't think I could. I'm not sure I could shoot a wounded animal even. I just have a very hard time imagining myself pointing a gun at someone and pulling the trigger. Actually, I have a hard time imagining myself just pointing a gun at someone. I can't imagine hurting another human being.
I would be an awful jurist in this case. On the one hand, they both confessed to police. They deserve the full weight of the law. But on the other hand, they're suffering too.
In this case, somebody suffers no matter what. And that falls on their heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment