Wednesday, April 14, 2010

We the average folk who are getting screwed

What I e-mailed to my sister at 5:28 p.m.: "Aren't you glad you're not a Republican? I am, just about every day. Not just because of all their beliefs that are nixing pretty much everyone who's not white, male, straight, wealthy and fake-Christian, but because they're embarrassed at just about every turn."
What I read on the New York Times at 5:30 p.m.: "Tea party supporters are wealthier and more well-educated than the general public, tend to be Republican, white, male, and married, and their strong opposition to the Obama administration is more rooted in political ideology than anxiety about their personal economic situation."
For the being embarrassed at just about every turn, I'll direct you to my colleague's blog; as for the national stuff, I think the folks on "Planet 51" have heard about the strip club, and if not, Joe makes a mention of it. But really, I think it's funny how removed these tea party supporters are from the people who are worrying about their finances and their jobs and their futures. I don't want to imply that Democratic politicians or activists are any more in tune with reality, but can we just call a spade a spade here? Forget about no taxation with representation; we need to demand no decision-making until the people we elect to represent us know who we are, what we struggle with, what's important to us and what we expect from and our willing to pay for from our government.

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure that "we need to demand no decision-making until the people we elect to represent us know who we are, what we struggle with, what's important to us and what we expect from and our willing to pay for from our government" is pretty much the entire point of the tea party movement. It is based on the general belief that the people in Washington (in both parties) are more than a little out of touch.

    ReplyDelete