Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Who needs PMS?

I just got off the phone with a guy who ranted for five minutes about his pet peeve and then didn't want his name in the paper. Be a man already. If you can complain about it, do it publicly. If you're afraid, then shut up.
That happens to be one of my pet peeves about my superfantastic job. Keep reading for a more comprehensive list.
1. When reporters from the competition hang around and piggyback off my insightful questions.
2. When the same reporter makes comments that make me wish we weren't in the same profession because I have such a low opinion of him.
3. When PR people act annoyed that I called them. I'm pretty sure talking to the media is the job description for public relations. Who else is going to call them? The public?
4. Sources who tell me how they want the story written.
5. Sources who repeatedly call me back to give me more information for the story they want to write.
6. Random phone calls that clearly are plants from elected officials or others in power who don't want to be the rat but who want their political enemies ratted out.
7. Sources who ask me what I think about issues. That ain't how this game is played.
8. 2:30-4:30 p.m. My body is telling me to take a nap. My brain is happy to go along with that, except for the part that wants to keep my job by not falling asleep in the corner.
9. How I can never keep my pens handy.
10. That it is still Wednesday and not Friday.
11. The fact that everyone around me seems to have a lot to do. Technically, I have a lot to do as well; I currently have open a 200-page document that I'm writing a 20-inch story about tomorrow. I should get on that.
12. That it's 2:30 p.m. right now.

2 comments:

  1. I really did post this at 2:30. I don't know why the time step is an hour and 13 minutes earlier.
    13. Technology can be angry. Our server has had violent PMS all week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm convinced that my brain shuts off at 4 pm. I'd better never go work on the East Coast.

    ReplyDelete